PLACES OF INTEREST IN PALANGA AND SVENTOJI

Prepared by “Gintarinė Palanga”. 
(Gintarinė Palanga. Palanga, Palanga information center. P. 10)

 

Pier

It is difficult to imagine Palanga without the Pier. From the pier opens a view to the dunes, beaches and limitless sea. Here you can listen to the murmur of the sea, a yell of terns, watch the sunset.
In the end of XIX c holidaymakers had a lot of inconveniences if they wanted to reach Palanga, From Liepaja or Klaipėda they were traveling to Palanga by carriages. Then Tiškevicius decided to build up a landing stage for the ships. The landing stage was built in 1884 -1888. A merchant passenger vessel "Phoenix" used to carry holidaymakers, goods and food from Liepaja. But every time after storms the landing stage was covered with sand and after a few years it was not usable for navigation. Since 1892 the pier has become a favorite place for promenades. Time, sea waves and wind are devastating this construction. In 1998 a new pier 470m in length was built. Again everybody hastens to say good-bye to the sun...

The Street of J. Basanavicius

Earlier this street had a name of street or boulevard of Tiskevicius. In the summer of 1923 Dr. J. Basanavicius visited Palanga. To honor the nation's Patriarch, the inhabitants of Palanga named this boulevard J. Basanaviciaus street. Holidaymakers promenade along this street willingly, because there are a lot of cafes and different attractions. This is the basic street, which leads to the pier.
Gradual reconstruction of the street started in the autumn of 2003, after the completion of which it wile be one of most green and spoons streets of the town.

Zemaiciu Alkas

In XIV c. on the top of Birute hill astronomical observations were carried out. The replica of this paleoastronomic observatory was constructed north of Sventoji settlement, not far from Health centre "Energetikas", and called "Zemaiciu alka" (Samogitian sanctuary). It was made by Palanga branch of Samogitians' culture organization.
In June 1998 wooden columns made by folk artists were put up here. Each column corresponds to the names of mythological gods and goddesses of the Balts: Perkūnas (Thunder), Ausrinė (Morning star the Venus), Zemyna (Goddess of Earth Vitality), Austėja (Goddess of Bees), Ondenis (Water God), Patrimpas (God of plants and Spring), Patulas (Linger earth God), Velnias (God of Dead Souls), Leda (Mother of Gods) and heavenly bodies - Saulė (Sun) and Mėnulis (Moon). When the sun goes down to the sea by the help of these columns it is possible to fix calendar holidays, which come from pganism. They are: Dew holiday, Stork's Day, Shrovetide, Christmas etc.

Pajurio (Seaside) Regional Park

It starts south of the Botanical Park and stretches till Klaipėda city. The park was established in September 1992. It occupies the area of 5602 ha. The park includes the natural reservation of Placis, Karklė botanical and Kalotė botanical zoological reserves, Dutchman's cap (Olandų kepurės), Nemirseta and Saipiai landscapes and Karklė talasological and etnocultural reserve. You can explore Pajūrio Regional Park on foot, by bikes or by horses. Tel. (8-46) 398834.

Antanas Moncys House-Museum

Antanas Moncys house museum. A Lithuanian artist, who had been working in France and whose artworks came back to his Motherland. The exhibition consists of A. Moncys sculptures, drawings, pieces of graphic art, flutes, masks, sheets of his diary, advertising posters, etc. To the last will of the artist, visitors are allowed to touch the sculptures.

Activities of Museum: to popularize of Lithuanian art in Europe, promote international cultural exchanges, educational activities, and projects for social integration of disabled people.

Dr. Jonas Sliupas Memorial House

Famous Lithuanian public man of the first half of XX c. Jonas Sliupas was the first mayor of Palanga town. His house serves as the museum of Dr. J. Sliupas and Palanga history now.

Palanga Guild of Amber Masters

Adress
Putinų takas 409,
LT 5720 Palanga
Tel. +370 652 36719

Open for visitors amber processing studio
Vytauto 21/ S. Dariaus ir S. Girėno 27

Palanga Guild of Amber Masters is a public organisation founded in the end of 2000 and joining 26 amber craftsmen with their families. The members of the Guild protect and maintain the tradition of amber craftsmanship, participate in republican and international exhibitions, apply new technologies for amber processing, manufacture individual orders of amber jewellery.
At Palanga Amber processing studio, the members of the guild will show you how a natural piece of amber turns into an item of jewellery, visitors will also be given a try. The exhibition of amber artefacts will be open here for visitors' choice and acquisition of nice things.

  

     ©  Lithuanian Art Museum,                                                                                                                                                                           Page update 07.13.10
     ©  Palanga Botanical Park,                                                                                                   
     © Information Centre of Samogitian Cultural Association